Monday, July 24, 2006

Chris Zorich

Because not all of you read my other blog, I'd figure I'd cross post this and add a little to it, because it's just too god-damn weird.

OK, from the realm of "ridiculous." I've had this Bears' jersey for years. I bought it in probably 1996 or so when John and I went to Chicago. Bought at the discount rack at Sports Authority on LaSalle at Ohio (or thereabouts). It's a Chris Zorich jersey. Who's Chris Zorich? Well, ummm...not what I thought. First, a quick run-down: he played football at Notre Dame (Defensive Lineman) and was drafted by the Chicago Bears. When he played he was pretty damn good. Unfortunately, he spent a lot of time injured and by 1997 he was out of football (he retired with the Redskins). I can't seem to find anything that says why, but I seem to remember he had nagging injuries and was considered a bit of a "mercurial" attitude.

I remembered him being really good, which is why I had bought the jersey and at the time, it was hoped he would still be able to play. He wasn't and he seemed to fall off the earth.

In any event, I wear the jersey on occassion because at this point it's got kind of an "old school" charm. Little did I know that the "charm" would be in full effect today. We were walking back from the Wicker Park Festival (it was raining, after Brothers Past) on Milwaukee to get a cab. As we were walking we hear "hey, you! stop!" I turned around and saw this huge bouncer-looking dude running at me from across the street. So, I kept walking (people in Chicago are crazy, I'm not stopping!). But, he was persistent and kept yelling to stop. So, I stopped. And here's the conversation that transpired.

him: "Hey, thanks for stopping."
me: "Sure"
him: "Where did you get that jersey?"
me: "I don't know, I've had it for years. I got it back in 96 or so."
him: "really? well. I just wanted to say 'thanks for wearing that jersey."
me: "huh?"
him: "Thanks for wearing that jersey, I really appreciate it."
me: "Ummm... no problem dude."

He shook my hand, and I shook his and we both went our separate ways. It all happened rather quickly and I wasn't really sure what the hell was going on. We walked away and it occurred to me: "Holy crap. That was Chris Zorich."

So, now my curiosity is peaked. I wonder "what the hell happened to Chris Zorich that he's now a bouncer at some random bar in Wicker Park?" Turns out ... he's not exactly a bouncer.

Here's the deal with Chris Zorich. Since leaving football he's been a little busy. He's running the Christopher Zorich Foundation. From his dress when I saw him, I can only guess that he was doing some work on behalf of the foundation when I saw him (he had work-gloves). He's also an attorney with Schuyler, Roche, and Zwirner in Chicago. So, go check out his Foundation's website; if you're feeling generous, donate your time or money.

I only wish I had known all of this when I met Mr. Zorich on the street. I have a zillion questions that I would have asked him.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris Zorich was my idol back in the day. He was the badest defensive lineman I had ever seen play and I could relate to his connection to his mother. He was the inspiration that motivated me through highschool and collage. I am sorry I don’t get a chance to see him play anymore but he is doing great things with his life and his mother would be proud.

Anonymous said...

I have been an avid ND football fan longer than I can remember, 60 yrs or so. Chris Zorich is my all time favorite player. As a matter of fact, he is my alltime favorite athlete. I have met him on a couple of occasions and your story is typical Zorich. He was a monster on the field, but he is a gentleman off the field. I sure would like to have that jersey!

Anonymous said...

I met Chris Zorich today at the ND v. Duke game in South Bend, IN. He was nothing less than a friend. He asked to shake MY hand and was all around awesome. The football stats, the legal career and the charity that carries his name just adds to his likeablility.
If you ever see him again, let him know that northern Indiana misses him and was glad to see him at the game!

Anonymous said...

He's not an attorney, he's a legal intern

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris it's me Traci from the hood on the south east side of Chicago.We hung out. Do you remember me we swam together a Russel Square Park in the 80s? I lived on Saginaw I've been trying to contact you to tell you that my sister Terri Bitzer has past away. Chris is a beautiful person and a Angle in the hood so was his Mom. It was fun growing up with Chris. My family and I miss you. Love You, Traci